Saturday night I headed with my friend Matiga and several volunteers to the Art College for a concert – several groups from Dar es Salaam, Kilimanjaro, Dodoma, and Tanga were performing traditional African drumming and dance.
I can’t wait till I get the chance to post videos – descriptions can’t do it justice! The performances were amazing, from the costumes to the rhythms to the dancers! I was incredibly impressed with how vibrant the culture is and how valuable it is to keep traditional drumming and dance alive.
Most of the performances included drums, marimbas, and rattles. The last group also had an electric guitar (I’m thinking not traditional, but a modern twist). The dancers were spectacular – I don’t know how they get their hips to move so fast while still moving their feet to the drum rhythms! Their personalities really shone while dancing – huge smiles, incredible athleticism and endurance, and genuinely appearing to have fun!
Picture: One of the groups that performed at the Art College
I can’t wait till I get the chance to post videos – descriptions can’t do it justice! The performances were amazing, from the costumes to the rhythms to the dancers! I was incredibly impressed with how vibrant the culture is and how valuable it is to keep traditional drumming and dance alive.
Most of the performances included drums, marimbas, and rattles. The last group also had an electric guitar (I’m thinking not traditional, but a modern twist). The dancers were spectacular – I don’t know how they get their hips to move so fast while still moving their feet to the drum rhythms! Their personalities really shone while dancing – huge smiles, incredible athleticism and endurance, and genuinely appearing to have fun!
Picture: One of the groups that performed at the Art College
No comments:
Post a Comment