I have to say, I am really disappointed in Tanzania’s postal system. Back in June, both Courtney and my parents sent boxes to Bagamoyo filled with school supplies for my kids. A month later, those boxes still have not arrived. As I have searched for answers I just continue to find more problems.
First, there is no guarantee the boxes will ever arrive, apparently. Second, customs has the authority to go through the boxes before they deliver them to me. Third, if customs decides the boxes are filled with enough things they can levy a tax that I have to pay before I can pick up the box from the post office. Fourth, there is no timeline for delivering packages so I have no idea if I can expect the boxes to arrive before I leave.
All of these issues make me frustrated and disappointed. Yesterday the pencil sharpener I bring to class broke, so the last two days my kids have been sharpening their pencils with their teeth. It breaks my heart – how can a country that has so little be so corrupt and inefficient when these wonderful school supplies are on the way? I pose a question that’s hardly revolutionary, it’s one that people involved in development deal with every day.
I just want the supplies to come for my kids, but I’m realizing that the problem is bigger than me, bigger than Bagamoyo, it’s Tanzania and the lack of infrastructure, regulation, and accountability in the postal system and government in general. For countries trying to develop, nothing can be assumed or taken for granted – even something like mail.
First, there is no guarantee the boxes will ever arrive, apparently. Second, customs has the authority to go through the boxes before they deliver them to me. Third, if customs decides the boxes are filled with enough things they can levy a tax that I have to pay before I can pick up the box from the post office. Fourth, there is no timeline for delivering packages so I have no idea if I can expect the boxes to arrive before I leave.
All of these issues make me frustrated and disappointed. Yesterday the pencil sharpener I bring to class broke, so the last two days my kids have been sharpening their pencils with their teeth. It breaks my heart – how can a country that has so little be so corrupt and inefficient when these wonderful school supplies are on the way? I pose a question that’s hardly revolutionary, it’s one that people involved in development deal with every day.
I just want the supplies to come for my kids, but I’m realizing that the problem is bigger than me, bigger than Bagamoyo, it’s Tanzania and the lack of infrastructure, regulation, and accountability in the postal system and government in general. For countries trying to develop, nothing can be assumed or taken for granted – even something like mail.
No comments:
Post a Comment