So after the hospitalization Sunday I had a really nice low-key week in Bagamoyo. It’s funny how the unexpected brings a whole new set of adventures! I spent a lot of time this week at the art center down the street playing with the kids and hanging out with the artists. My school was closed so thankfully even though I was sick I wasn’t missing out on teaching my usual student. Instead, I was at the art center with Dickson, James, Ali, Nyola, and Matiga and the students they teach.
All the guys are talented artists. Dickson is a beautiful painter and he also plays guitar and has an amazing singing voice. James and Ali make beautiful jewelry and James is a great dancer. Nyola drums and does a little painting, while Matiga is a drummer, guitar player, songwriter, and singer. Matiga has his own CD which I bought a copy of – he’s incredible! The art center they run they teach these traditional African skills to street kids while also feeding them and playing with them.
This week I watched the kids make jewelry, practice their dance moves and drumming, and dangle from the rafters in the center like little gymnasts! I was actually really grateful for the experience because it was so low-key and I was still sick, very nauseas from all the medication, and I saw a totally different side of Bagamoyo. Because of a more prominent Art College, Bagamoyo is actually a hot spot for Tanzanian culture.
We also had a nice farewell lunch for Sam, one of the volunteers, on Friday. Dickson makes lunch for the center and the kids and when it’s a volunteer’s last day he’ll sometimes invite over a few of us and include us in lunch. They made coconut rice, a vegetable sauce, avocado, sliced cucumber, and passion fruit juice. Eva and I also brought sodas for the event – enough for all of us and the kids, which was a real treat!
I also had time to do a little shopping and have some more clothes made. There are many pemba shops where you can by congas, or African fabric, in all different colors and patterns. There is also a tailor where you can take the congas and have them made into clothing – like pants, capris, skirts, or dresses. I’ve had a few things made for myself, but also some gifts too! I’m so used to seeing congas in different styles every day it will be strange when I’m the only one wearing them back in the United States!
Picture: Me and Sam with some of the kids at the art center
All the guys are talented artists. Dickson is a beautiful painter and he also plays guitar and has an amazing singing voice. James and Ali make beautiful jewelry and James is a great dancer. Nyola drums and does a little painting, while Matiga is a drummer, guitar player, songwriter, and singer. Matiga has his own CD which I bought a copy of – he’s incredible! The art center they run they teach these traditional African skills to street kids while also feeding them and playing with them.
This week I watched the kids make jewelry, practice their dance moves and drumming, and dangle from the rafters in the center like little gymnasts! I was actually really grateful for the experience because it was so low-key and I was still sick, very nauseas from all the medication, and I saw a totally different side of Bagamoyo. Because of a more prominent Art College, Bagamoyo is actually a hot spot for Tanzanian culture.
We also had a nice farewell lunch for Sam, one of the volunteers, on Friday. Dickson makes lunch for the center and the kids and when it’s a volunteer’s last day he’ll sometimes invite over a few of us and include us in lunch. They made coconut rice, a vegetable sauce, avocado, sliced cucumber, and passion fruit juice. Eva and I also brought sodas for the event – enough for all of us and the kids, which was a real treat!
I also had time to do a little shopping and have some more clothes made. There are many pemba shops where you can by congas, or African fabric, in all different colors and patterns. There is also a tailor where you can take the congas and have them made into clothing – like pants, capris, skirts, or dresses. I’ve had a few things made for myself, but also some gifts too! I’m so used to seeing congas in different styles every day it will be strange when I’m the only one wearing them back in the United States!
Picture: Me and Sam with some of the kids at the art center
No comments:
Post a Comment