The class takes place in a small church. The kids sit on pews, no desks or school supplies. There is a single chalkboard about the size of a bulletin board for the teacher to write on. All the kids have uniforms and have to sit quietly. There are no lights, no air conditioning, only one noisy fan. There is no sink only an outhouse for the bathroom, no toilet paper, just a bucket of water and a hole in the ground.
The kids are so loving and joyful that I am amazed. They are truly the light in the day. They all greet me “Karibu Madam Dana” and are all smiling and shy and staring (this doesn’t last long, the shy bit at least). I get to see the other classes, with the 4 year olds and 3 year olds. They are so little, the last class. They call me “Mzungu” but my class apparently knows better. I get to stand in front of the class and do the Simama Ka song. When they realize that this is what we’re doing they get so excited! Ruka ruka ruka (which means jump jump jump) we are ALL jumping and laughing. It’s a nice 5 minute break too.
The kids get to eat lunch at school, porridge prepared in a hut behind the school. Everything is so small. The kids get very small plastic cups that they must wash themselves when they finish. Many eat fast to try and get seconds until they run out. It breaks my heart a little.
Just like kids in the US though, my kids range in personality and ability, focus and interest. My oldest kids are twin boys and they are behind, I think they are also 6. I have several bright girls in the class. When they leave for break they yell “vroooom” which makes me laugh! It starts to rain while we are outside so we all come rushing back inside and they say “beep beep” to pass each other – some things don’t change!
The lack of resources is astounding. The kids are often missing shoes, don’t have any pencils or pens much less paper or books. Lessons are all done on the chalkboard and each kid is given a very small lined book to complete exercises. There is a bag with some pencils but no sharpener, most are dull, no erasers. I grade with my ballpoint pen I brought with me. There are no posters, no stickers, no desks. Outside the kids play with each other and many grab my hand.
This reminds me, last night Malica and I were walking through Bagamoyo on a walk. We were stopped every few feet, met a few people who spoke English. On our way back a kids soccer game was ending and the winning school ran up the street celebrating. They saw us and yelled “Mzungu!” and before we knew it we were surrounded by hundreds of kids all touching our arms and hands. I wish I had it on camera or a picture, it’s unlike anything I’ve ever seen. We joke that we are famous only because we look so different, but the response is very loving. Those that can speak English say “welcome” or “we love you”
I really love it here and don’t want to leave…

Dana,
ReplyDeleteI am facinated by your blogs. I look forward to reading about your experiences everyday.
Elaine Cori
I love reading your blogs. It breaks my heart that they don't have school supplies. :( I'll be working on changing that a little bit....
ReplyDelete