Friday, May 15, 2009

TGIF!


Post

Some more fun stories!!!!

Okay so in Bagamoyo I have learned that dogs and cats are wild animals – we see them on the streets and out in the forest areas. What’s funny is, goats and chickens are domestic animals!!! Everyone knows which is theirs, they stay in the yard of their house: the goats can provide milk and the chickens provide eggs (and meat, of course, if the family chooses to do that). The people couldn’t understand having a dog or cat as a pet! They view them as scavengers, like vultures, who roam wild and eat scraps of food and such. I found this really funny.

The roads in Bagamoyo are all dirt. But see dirt roads I always thought would be flat and dusty. Not the case! The roads are extremely bumpy with huge wholes in them, the road is dirt and rock together. On the roads you will see dalla-dallas (buses), bicycles, people walking, and the occasional camel!

Fridays at my school are fun days – the kids play sports and I teach singing. The best part: class is held on the beach! So I was on the beautiful Bagamoyo beaches playing with the kids. The sun shines so brightly and even at 8:00 in the morning it has risen so high above the ocean that the water glitters, it’s blue-green and beautiful. My kids were fascinated with my sunglasses that I was wearing at the beach and wanting to learn new songs. I taught the Hokey Pokey which was hilarious – they didn’t really get the words to the song but they LOVED the motions especially when “you do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around” – they are so freaking cute. I was teaching 90 today so I am pretty worn out!!

I’m starting to plan some weekend travel, in a couple weeks some of the volunteers want to go to Ngorongoro, a crater in northern Tanzania. It’s a small crater but one of the oldest sites of life in the world, with a variety of animals in one small place – lions, zebras, elephants, everything! On that trip I think we’re going to also stop by Mwanza, which is where you can see hundreds of flamingos on Lake Victoria. The weekend after that there is the Walk the World hunger awareness walk and I’m going to walk it in Dar Es Salaam with a couple other volunteers if we can get the details worked out!

Attached is my favorite pictures with my kids, it is us on the beach, and another teacher took it. I love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment