I had another adventure yesterday! This time it was due to a toe – a silly little toe! Well 3 weeks ago when I was in DC for the Breakfast Club reunion, we were out in Georgetown and a girl stepped on this toe with a stiletto and it bled pretty bad at the time… well 3 weeks later it had gotten infected, yikes! Mama C, our “mom” at our placement was worried so I missed my placement to go to the hospital.
The experience was much like in the US – you go in, fill out forms, then you’re seen, then you’re treated. Everything was done carefully and slowly which was impressive. The surroundings and resources, however, differ dramatically from what we are used to in the United States. The appearance isn’t sanitary, mostly concrete and slabs, with very few medical resources. I wish they had more resources, more equipment and things.
The rains have come to Tanzania. It rains every day but not for very long! But it POURS when it rains. It’s the hardest rain I have ever heard! I love to listen to it under the tin roofs – it makes the coolest sound. Very peaceful. Most of the ground absorbs the rains so quickly, except for the roads – the potholes fill with water and the dirt turns to mud. Navigating the roads becomes infinitely more challenging – there are times I feel like we’re on a ride at a theme park, no joke!
I’ve learned that in terms of road etiquette, Tanzanians act very different from Americans. They honk when they approach another vehicle, people walking, bikes, etc. pretty much anything! But the honking is courtesy – you are letting them know you are coming so that they don’t accidentally step in your way. This is particularly helpful for children and animals and bikes when you are coming up behind the bikes on the road. Also it is quite acceptable to stop your car in the road to say hello to someone and other cars will just wait.
This is reflective of what Mama C calls “Tanzania Flexible Time” AKA TFT. Time moves slowly here and appointments and schedules have to be flexible, accordingly. For all of you who know me, this is taking some adjusting! I am so used to living by the clock especially in the US where you clock in and out of jobs to the minute! Here time is slower and people put a higher priority on relationships and community, stopping and spending time when you see someone even if you have somewhere to be. It’s interesting and in many ways valuable, just taking some adjusting to understand how it works.
We visited a “traditional healer” yesterday. He is a traditional African doctor, practicing banishing bad spirits and makes medicines out of roots, water, and other items you could find in the wilderness. It was an interesting experience! He acknowledged that he couldn’t cure diseases like TB, malaria, or HIV/AIDS. It honestly reminded me of when my little sister and I would make “potions” with berries and dirt in our backyard. It’s fascinating to see how there is a belief system surrounding these healers as part of the history and culture and it is very accepted. Western medicine of course exists in Tanzania, but it was unnerving to think that for an ailment you would go to a traditional healer – but it’s a reality, nonetheless.
I picked up my clothes from the tailor and I love them! I feel more assimilated into Tanzanian culture and the community every day which is a great feeling. I am fitting in as well as I can for standing out, the fact being I can’t change that I look different from everyone here. But I can do my best to be respectful of the community, knowledgeable about the language, customs, and norms, and curious to explore the art, singing, dancing, dress, and culinary aspects. There’s a lot to learn and I only have 10 and a half more weeks to learn it!
Until next time!
The experience was much like in the US – you go in, fill out forms, then you’re seen, then you’re treated. Everything was done carefully and slowly which was impressive. The surroundings and resources, however, differ dramatically from what we are used to in the United States. The appearance isn’t sanitary, mostly concrete and slabs, with very few medical resources. I wish they had more resources, more equipment and things.
The rains have come to Tanzania. It rains every day but not for very long! But it POURS when it rains. It’s the hardest rain I have ever heard! I love to listen to it under the tin roofs – it makes the coolest sound. Very peaceful. Most of the ground absorbs the rains so quickly, except for the roads – the potholes fill with water and the dirt turns to mud. Navigating the roads becomes infinitely more challenging – there are times I feel like we’re on a ride at a theme park, no joke!
I’ve learned that in terms of road etiquette, Tanzanians act very different from Americans. They honk when they approach another vehicle, people walking, bikes, etc. pretty much anything! But the honking is courtesy – you are letting them know you are coming so that they don’t accidentally step in your way. This is particularly helpful for children and animals and bikes when you are coming up behind the bikes on the road. Also it is quite acceptable to stop your car in the road to say hello to someone and other cars will just wait.
This is reflective of what Mama C calls “Tanzania Flexible Time” AKA TFT. Time moves slowly here and appointments and schedules have to be flexible, accordingly. For all of you who know me, this is taking some adjusting! I am so used to living by the clock especially in the US where you clock in and out of jobs to the minute! Here time is slower and people put a higher priority on relationships and community, stopping and spending time when you see someone even if you have somewhere to be. It’s interesting and in many ways valuable, just taking some adjusting to understand how it works.
We visited a “traditional healer” yesterday. He is a traditional African doctor, practicing banishing bad spirits and makes medicines out of roots, water, and other items you could find in the wilderness. It was an interesting experience! He acknowledged that he couldn’t cure diseases like TB, malaria, or HIV/AIDS. It honestly reminded me of when my little sister and I would make “potions” with berries and dirt in our backyard. It’s fascinating to see how there is a belief system surrounding these healers as part of the history and culture and it is very accepted. Western medicine of course exists in Tanzania, but it was unnerving to think that for an ailment you would go to a traditional healer – but it’s a reality, nonetheless.
I picked up my clothes from the tailor and I love them! I feel more assimilated into Tanzanian culture and the community every day which is a great feeling. I am fitting in as well as I can for standing out, the fact being I can’t change that I look different from everyone here. But I can do my best to be respectful of the community, knowledgeable about the language, customs, and norms, and curious to explore the art, singing, dancing, dress, and culinary aspects. There’s a lot to learn and I only have 10 and a half more weeks to learn it!
Until next time!
I miss you! Only you would have to go to the hospital for an infected toe. :) Is it feeling better? I love you. I love reading your blogs. I check like three times a day to see if you've written! I love you!
ReplyDelete