Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Count of Monte Cristo

The Count of Monte Cristo is an awesome book. You should read it, and read it now. The UNABRIDGED version. Why, might you ask? Because the abridged version (which before a couple weeks ago, was the only version I had read, as required in school) condenses 1,000 pages into 250. It is, quite simply, not nearly as good.

The complete book is now hands down my favorite classic. It is a tale of sorrow, revenge, calculated and slow, unfolding over a period of months and years. The unabridged novel really explores the backstory of the characters who Edmond Dantes seeks his revenge on - Villefort, Danglars, Fernand and Mercedes. There's satisfaction, guilt, regret, love, loss and sorrow.

And my favorite quote:

"So, do live and be happy, children dear to my heart, and never forget that, until the day when God deigns to unveil the future to mankind, all human wisdom is contained in these two words: 'wait' and 'hope'!"

The abridged version is confusing - and rightfully so, as it eliminates 3/4 of the story (mostly backstory, focusing on the action and the ending/revenge) and thus is incomplete in its buildup and climax. The abridged version is complete in these respects, and completely satisfying and amazing. It gets you thinking too, about what is right, what is wrong, what is justice. Years ago I saw the movie and was sorely disappointed. It's simply not possible to condense this book into a movie while retaining its integrity. I do, however, think it would make an excellent miniseries (hello, HBO, give me a call I have ideas!!!).

One of the great things about having an Amazon Kindle is that most classics are free or cheap ($2) for the unabridged versions. I'm planning to read more of the classics, so stay tuned....

(and until then - read The Count of Monte Cristo. You'll be glad you did)

No comments:

Post a Comment