Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Malaria

My first major health encounter happened today. I had been feeling very sick for a couple days so I went to the hospital for a malaria test. I have type 4 Malaria, definitely not the worst kind but it's not good either. The doctors gave me medication and I plan to rest and try to recover in the next few days.

Malaria is a parasite born infectious disease transmitted through mosquito bites. It ranges from a small number of parasites to a large number of parasites. Actually over 350 million people catch malaria every year, around 3 million die, most are children who go undiagnosed and receive no medication for the illness. Most people I know in Bagamoyo have had malaria and in fact get it recurringly but develop a resistance to it from being born in the area where it manifests.

It can be more serious for foreigners, particularly if they do not get treatment immediately.Malaria is a very serious illness in Tanzania, I have seen the effects when it goes untreated. I feel lucky to have caught it in a very early stage and also be able to afford the medication to fight it off. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers - I am truly experiencing life in Africa but feel so grateful to be here, surrounded by fantastic and loving people.

I am considering the concerns of my family before making a decision on staying in Africa, I very much hope to stay, but my health depending I may be coming home before my intended day to come home.



No comments:

Post a Comment