Friday, June 26, 2009

Malaria Update


I’ve gotten so many well-wishes I am so appreciative, but also many questions. So a bit more about malaria – how I got it, the symptoms, and the treatment I’ve received. Last week, around Thursday I started to notice multiple mosquito bites on my feet. This came as a surprise to me because I am extremely consistent about putting on bugspray particularly in the evening. As the day went on the bites seemed to multiply before my eyes – by the end of the day I counted 32 bites – just on my feet! I mentally considered and verbally expressed my concern that I had put myself at serious risk of malaria.

Sunday evening I noticed myself feeling particularly sore and irritable. My muscles ached and it hurt to sit, stand, walk, or do anything really. Monday I slept through my alarm and spent the entire day in bed. Most of the day is fuzzy to me in my memory. My friends here tell me I appeared in a daze and simply voiced my need to sleep. Tuesday my condition worsened – I couldn’t get out of bed at all, even going to the bathroom was a chore. By Tuesday night I had not eaten since Sunday night – I had totally lost my appetite. Any attempt to eat anything I threw up. Tuesday night the CCS staff decided I must get tested for malaria.

The next morning, Wednesday, I remember again somewhat hazily. I was extremely emotional and weak, crying on the way to the hospital (and probably worrying my parents to death sending them text messages). For a malaria test the doctors prick your finger and then test the blood for parasites, which they observe through a microscope. I was diagnosed with Malaria IV, meaning that there were approximately 4 malaria parasites attached to each white blood cell in my blood. While this is certainly not the worst type of malaria, my condition was considerably worse since I had not eaten any food in 3 days. I was put on a 3-day medication which attacks the malaria parasites in my blood. Most importantly, I was told to try to keep down some food and drink lots of fluids. Arriving back at CCS after the malaria test I attempted to drink but was too weak – and upon heading into the main house I collapsed on the front porch (in front of a new group of volunteers that had never met me by the way, an excellent first impression). Again I was lucky, one of those volunteers was a doctor here with his wife and 2 daughters and he knew all I needed was rest and fluids. By Wednesday evening I had managed to eat a whole piece of bread, 2 glasses of water, and a glass of juice. While this sounds like hardly anything, I considered it major progress.

Yesterday, Thursday, I was better – my spirits lifted thanks to my kids (read more about that above) – but still very weak. My energy comes and goes, fatigue is one of the main symptoms of malaria both before and after treatment. Even this morning, Friday, I feel very weak and tired so after posting I will be returning to bed to get some rest. I have to be careful to observe my energy levels and take care of myself, even as the disease goes away. Malaria parasites can return and of course I must continue to put on bug spray so I do not catch another strand of the malaria virus.

What strikes me most about my encounter with malaria is how fortunate I am to have the attention and care of doctors, the CCS staff, my friends and family around the world. So many people get this illness and far worse cases of it and do not have the support network that I could so easily take for granted. I feel extremely grateful for the resources and help extended to me but cognoscente that millions of people around the world are not so lucky. I will definitely be staying in Tanzania for the remainder of my volunteer time, so another 5 weeks, then off to South Africa.

Thank you all for your kind words, love and support. I am grateful beyond words and hope to continue sharing my experiences in Africa with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment