Thanks to my good friend Harper, I was introduced this week to the new Taylor Swift album, 1989. I've always liked Taylor. I think she's kept it classy when so many girls her age are just selling sex. I like her songwriting and catchy country tunes. I admire that she's able to poke fun at herself and her list of famous exes. She's got a better perspective at her age than I did, that's for sure. But I was never a super-fan, never bought an album, just a few singles. Country music, admittedly, is something I listen to on occasion but not most of the time.
There was a pretty big deal about this being Taylor's first "pure pop album" - I've been seeing articles pop up on Entertainment Weekly and other sites. To me I kind of shrugged it off (hasn't she always been a bit pop?). But I have to say I really, really love this album. The writing is spot-on and transports me back to when I was her age or a bit younger. So many of the songs, especially Blank Space, I Wish You Would, and This Love resonate with how I remember a younger version of myself. And maybe that's appropriate since her album title is 1989, the year she was born, the music is a throwback to the pop of the late 80s and 90s, the beats are catchy, and it's just absolutely fantastic.
So, here I am, highly recommending the new Taylor Swift album (never thought I'd be saying that!). And for what it's worth, it's always good to open yourself up to new music. If you looked at my music on my iPhone it's pretty random. So here I am, officially on the Taylor Swift bandwagon. Go get it, go get all the songs stuck in your head, and tell me which ones are your favorites!
Disclaimer: I am in no way a music expert, but I just had to obsess a bit about this awesome album

No comments:
Post a Comment