Friday, January 3, 2014

To Resolve, Or Not To Resolve?


Resolutions - friend or foe? There's something about every year that makes us resolved to be happier - so we make lists, and goals, and ultimately - excuses. And we start over every year. Back in college I had the same resolution for 3 years in a row - not to drink soda. It seemed like a good one, and I kept it. In grad school I had laundry lists of resolutions that went nowhere fast. Last year I made one big one - to learn moderation, and to get a better handle on my anxiety. That's come a long way but it's really a lifestyle, not a resolution. So... my big question this year was should I have any resolutions? What should they be?

I do have one, inspired by our New Year's Eve dinner at Rosa Mexicano. Two girls at the table next to us (best guess college age, early 20s) spent the entire meal (including eating) on their phones. They did not put them down once. They snapchatted to each other, they tweeted, instagrammed, posted status updates to Facebook, and texted. I was stunned, and concerned - not for them, but for all of us. As a Social Media Manager it's my job to be plugged in to trends, to understand and use social media with fluency and ease. But I couldn't help but wonder - am I at risk for behaving this way? For experiencing a real-life experience virtually? It made me resolve to spend less time on my phone this year. To put it away during meals, to Instagram later, to be in the moment more. It's so easy - and downright fun - to post what you're doing, to get instant likes and "omg! wish I was there! so cool! etc." comments. But it shouldn't come at the expense of the actual experience. Will I do it? We will see. I'm lucky that my fiance and husband-to-be does NOT have a smart phone and as a result, does a good job of helping keep me in the moment.

Other resolutions... well again, lifestyle-wise I resolve every year to travel to a new domestic and international destination. Last year I made it to the Dominican Republic twice which was a new country and both were amazing trips. I did not make it anywhere new in the US. Travel-wise, 2013 was a slowwwww year. 2014 is shaping up to be busier already. Domestically, I am traveling to Arizona for one of my bridesmaids' Erica's bachelorette party. Internationally, we are traveling to three new countries on our honeymoon - Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia (Bali). And Nate and I are planning for Thanksgiving week in Paris. France will be a new country for him - I've been twice!

So alas, one true resolution this year... we will see how it goes! I leave you with this fun "resolution" that I found as I was putting this blog post together:


Cheers to 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment