Saturday, November 23, 2013

Wedding Planning 101

We are officially just about six months from our wedding! A lot of people have started asking me "how is the wedding planning going? are you stressed?" etc. and variations on that theme. To quote Elle Woods from Legally Blonde "what, like it's hard?" Most days I feel made to wedding plan - it has been a blast so far. Now I'm also acutely aware that it's been really easy for Nate and I because of the incredible unwavering support and generosity of our parents. They both see it as "our day" and as a result we've skipped a lot of your typical planning nightmares. We couldn't ask for better parents, we both feel lucky with our future in-laws!

One of the most important things to us has been enjoying each step of the planning. I know a long engagement isn't for anyone, heck there are days where I get impatient and wish it was a little closer. Our engagement is 15 months from the day Nate proposed to the day we say "I do." It's definitely a long time, but it allowed us to book the critical things right away (wedding and rehearsal dinner venues) and then slowly make the rest of our decisions: music, flowers, photographer, and now we're in the invitation-designing phase. When you both are weighing in on each decision it definitely takes longer, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Everyone has been impressed that Nate has had strong opinions on everything from the wedding colors to where we sit during dinner (note: his request was for a sweetheart table, so we'll be eating just the two of us at our reception, which I love!).

Nate and I have also been truly lucky with the most amazing friends in our wedding party that have made planning a breeze. For me, it was really important to me to include all my life-long friends in the wedding even though Nate and I wanted a small number of attendants standing up with us. We both felt with a small NYC wedding, it would be a little silly to have an army up there with us! But at the same time, we found a way to make it special and inclusive. I have six honorary bridesmaids, each who I have been friends with at least a decade - two sorority sisters, Amanda and Chrissy, and four close friends from childhood (high school and earlier) Jessica, Janeen, Ashley, and Erica. Nate's closest friends from college, Josh and Brian, are his ushers. Two of my sorority sisters who I was very close with especially senior year, Allyson and Mallory, will be my program girls and my "something blue" on my wedding day! Nate's sister Angie and husband Ryan will be reading in our ceremony, something that is extremely special to us.

We each have two attendants - Nate's two Best Men - his best friends and life-long friends from childhood, John and Dylan - and my two Maids of Honor - my sister Jenni and my best friend since 9th grade, Courtney. Looking back at high school, we were all band nerds, which I think is amazing and totally appropriate, considering that's where Nate and I met!

In short, wedding planning has been fun because we are surrounded by the most incredible friends and family a couple could ask for. We couldn't be more honored that they will all be part of our day. If only it would hurry up and get here soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment