Finally - catching up on blogging! June has been totally crazy (!!) and just now able to catch up on all our adventures! So Memorial Day weekend in the Dominican Republic was absolutely amazing! We got lucky and had amazing weather our entire visit! The cool thing about this trip is we went totally different places than when I visited Jenni in January! We even flew into a different city! We started the trip in Santiago, the second-largest city in the Dominican Republic (smaller than the capital city Santo Domingo, which I visited my first trip!). Santiago was really cool and relaxing! We visited the Monumento a los Heroes de la Restauracion, a monument to those who fought in the Dominican Restoration War 1863-1865. That night Jenni took us to a great pizzeria and a casino where we had local Dominican beer. Yum!
The next day we took the local transportation (buses that tend to fill up and become overcrowded called guaguas) to Puerto Plata. We stayed at the Riu Bachata resort at the west end of the beach - less touristy and not at all crowded! It was absolutely beautiful, with a nice pool and a beach covered with a shade of palm trees. It was my first time at an all-inclusive and I enjoyed not having to stress about paying for things - just rested and relaxed!
We were treated with warm but not hot weather - it never broke 90 degrees, but hovered in the mid to low 80s. Other than the occasional afternoon thunderstorm - for which we were usually inside napping - we had amazing weather. The water was a beautiful, clear turquoise blue!
My favorite moment of the trip had to be when we watched the sun set over the surrounding countryside. Of course I made Jenni and Nate pose for several rounds of photographs! But it was so worth it - the sunset was absolutely gorgeous! Jenni was a patient tour guide throughout our entire experience - and her spanish is super impressive!
It's hard to believe I've already been to this country twice and I already want to go back!!! Guess I'll have to be patient. All in all it was a wonderful trip, so excited to see my sister and spend quality time with her! Next time I'll see her will be in October, can't wait!

No comments:
Post a Comment