Can we talk about brunch?
So… let’s get things straight. I am NOT a brunch expert.
While I do (obsess) LOVE brunch in New York City, I haven’t made it my job to
try each and every spot. There’s my official disclaimer – that said – I love me
some brunch and it’s one of my favorite things to do in the city with friends,
family, and of course my sweetheart. And it’s at Nate’s suggestion that I
hereby give my brunch superlatives (rather than try to “grade” each brunch spot
like a critic, which I’m not). So without further ado I give you Dana’s “best
of brunch in NY 2012” list!
In terms of quality, cost and atmosphere you simply cannot
beat Isabella’s Sunday brunch. Included with all reasonably priced entres
($15-17) are a coffee and a mixed drink (bloody, mimosa, or bellini). I’ve never had less than an amazing brunch item –
although my personal favorites are the smoked salmon eggs benedict and the
huevos rancheros. The sides are excellent too, including the applewood bacon and sausage. Sitting outside a block from the Museum of Natural History
doesn’t suck either ;) For price, quality, and atmosphere, you can't do better than Isabella's.
For the record – I like Arte Café. That said I’ve had
extremely spotty service each of the 5+ times I’ve been there. Once Nate and I
waited nearly 20 minutes for a waiter (despite being seated). Another time wait
staff hovered to take my plate away (the rest of the table had finished but I
wasn’t feeling well and was eating slower… it made me feel like a vulture!).
And then sometimes it’s been fine – and the food is good and it’s right around
the corner from our apartment. Points for proximity, food quality (especially the roasted potatoes... yummo), but deductions for service.
Honorable mention: Isabella’s
Yotel is a fun brunch and while it gets no points for value
(I love a boozy brunch but $40 per person for unlimited food and drink for 2
hours is still steep in my opinion) – the ambiance of being in midtown Manhattan
with incredible views of nearby skyscrapers definitely is one to note. That said, if you’re looking to enjoy a
relaxing outdoor brunch, a table at Isabella’s on Columbus, cattycorner to the
Natural History Museum is nothing to complain about.
It’s pricey, but if you’re looking for the best brunch the
Upper West Side (or any of Sarabeth’s other locations, midtown east and
downtown for starters) has to offer, look no further than Sarabeth’s West. The
chef at Sarabeth’s has won the James Beard Award for pastries, and it’s easy to
see why. If you go to Sarabeth’s be sure to select one of the brunch items that
features baked goods, we recommend the lemon and ricotta pancakes (wow) and the
eggs benedict served on a homemade buttermilk biscuit (wow some more). They also make the best mimosa in the city, in the do-it yourself way. You're served with a small bottle of champagne and a small pitcher of juice and you can mix to your liking - and I like it!
Honorable mention: Sunburnt Cow
Can you beat a brunch where meals run $14-18 and unlimited
sangria is served throughout the meal? I didn’t think so. If a boozy brunch is
what you’re looking for, Calle Ocho has you covered. The food itself is great –
I had smoked salmon egg crepes that were super yummy – plus there are 8 flavors
of sangria (4 white, 4 red). My personal favorite was “samba.” Honorable mention goes to
Sunburnt cow, the food isn’t as amazing but it made for a pretty spectacular
St. Patty’s day this year! I love their outside patio area too.
Haha – I couldn’t resist this superlative. I went to Edi and
the Wolf with some girlfriends and it was the day of Eurocup – and who should
walk in but Alec Baldwin and his new wife (who he had married literally the day
before on Saturday). We were star struck for sure… so maybe it’s not actually
“most likely” but it was worth telling the story! In terms of food, Edi is a solid bet and features Austrian cuisine. It has some fantastic
bellinis. Be sure to get one if you go!
Everyone talks about the best burgers in NYC and mentions
burger shops… I was pleasantly surprised one brunch when craving a burger at
Spotted Pig at the AMAZING quality and flavor in the burger there. Spotted Pig is located in the West Village and while you may have to wait a while for a table, it's definitely worth it. Other items if burgers are not your thing (or you are vegetarian) are omelets and the burratta appetizer.
Best Organic Brunch: Good Enough to Eat
There’s a line out the door at Good Enough to Eat, and for
good reason – it’s known for high quality and tasty organic brunch food. While
it’s not my absolute favorite in the neighborhood (my eggs were pretty basic,
although quite tasty) I will say the biscuits with strawberry butter are amazing and I had no
complaints about any of the food or prices. It’s a great spot and if you can
beat the line, totally worth it!
Best Lunchy Brunch: Café Ronda
You know when you go to brunch and you think, I really am not feeling like eating breakfast food? Café Ronda is a great spot for a lunchy brunch – they have flatbread paninis (my favorite is mushroom and arugula) that are delicious, plus outdoor seating, and the house red sangria is awesome. It makes for a great lunchy brunch if you feel like brunching but are not craving eggs and such.

No comments:
Post a Comment