
I feel like cooking today... and eating. Can you tell? It's never officially fall (in my mind) until I make my mom's homemade pumpkin bread. Holy deliciousness. I make it every year, it's the best thing ever (don't even talk to me about banana nut bread, it's so confusing, I can't even talk about it). So every year I make this pumpkin bread and my mom has made it for us since we were little - it's super easy, all you need are basic baking ingredients, spices, a can of pumpkin, and 3 bread loaf pans. And you need to not be afraid of baking, which I mostly am... I might have had a few recipes go wrong, and there is an infamous story about doubling a doubled recipe and making something like 84 chocolate chip cookies on accident and having to use a storage bin to stir in the mixture.... it was traumatic. Let's skip over that. On that note though, I will say for the record that MELTED BUTTER is not an ingredient. BUTTER is an ingredient. Melting is a direction. I know you all agree with me. Because in the stress of the moment you might add a stick of butter to your cookie mixture and it won't mix together and you'll be HIGHLY confused... and spend the next 15 minutes picking pieces of oatmeal off your butter before you melt it.
AHEM.
Back to the recipe...
Ingredients:
- 3 cups of sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten in a bowl
- 1 can of pumpkin
- 3 1/2 cups of self-rising flour
- 2/3 cup of water
- 1 cup Crisco (vegetable) oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix sugar, oil and eggs in a mixer until combined.
- Add pumpkin, mix together.
- Slowly add dry ingredients until combined.
- Finally, slowly add water (the mixing bowl will be really full so mix the water in gradually or it'll splatter all over you. not that I know from experience).
- Butter the loaf pans.
- Pour mixture evenly into the 3 loaf pans
- Bake for 45-50 minutes at 325 degrees until bread is golden brown and you press your finger into it and it springs back.
I'm making some right now... and potentially eating some after that...
Enjoy!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment