Saturday, October 27, 2012

Welcome Home, Siena!

Siena today, October 27 2012, 8 weeks old

Today our baby girl dachshund puppy came home with us! It is surreal to have a puppy around the house but we are so excited and loving her already. For the past few months Nate and I talked about wanting to get a dog - but decided to wait until we were done with all our travels for 2012. Last month we started the discussion again and after dog-sitting our friend's dog, decided to start looking seriously. We found an ad on CraigsList and eventually were sent pictures of a few puppies, but we knew our dog as soon as we saw her. It's a huge commitment to get a dog - I've been reading "The Art of Raising Your Puppy" and doing tons of research online. We feel ready, and even though it's an adventure she is part of our family now!

We named her Siena after one of our favorite cities in Italy. The city is believed to be the inspiration for the color siena (sometimes spelled sienna) due to the shade of the city's ancient walls and the color of the earth. Given our puppy's beautiful red coat, it seemed like the perfect name for her, combining our love of travel and our new love for her into the perfect name. So far, she seems to like it! The next few days and weeks I'm sure will fly by and before I know it she will be a full grown dog! Her birthday is September 2, so she will join Nate and I in celebrating our "birthday month" next year!

Here's one more picture... this was the first picture we saw of her a few weeks ago:

Siena at 5 weeks old

Stay tuned for more pictures and stories in the weeks to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment