Sunday, October 7, 2012

October Health Challenge

Bah.... I'm behind on blogging again. What happened to September?

September in a few words: work, UNGA, work, UNGA, work, birthdays.

I'll be catching up on that soon. In the meantime - I've decided to challenge myself this month to kick-start healthy habits again! I'm calling it the October Health Challenge (although when I'm complaining to Nate I call it "Noctober - things I'm not allowed to have this month."

Disclaimer: I don't believe depriving yourself is a good long-term strategy for healthy living. I don't believe in dieting, I believe in a lifestyle of moderation and healthy habits, and enjoying food, wine, and exercising. However after my very very bad month of September with no healthy habits and lots of excuses for junk food, I challenged myself to go a month without my vices in order to kick-start healthy habits. So, what's the challenge?

1. Stick to Weight Watchers. It's a lifestyle, and it works. Just look at Jennifer Hudson. I've been on it for a year but I decided to "take the summer off." THAT worked out well. Not. Haha. It's such a great system and if you stick to it, it just works.

2. No alcohol. But it's October!!!!! It's pumpkin ale season! Yes I know. But I can do it and it's going to make a difference by the end of the month. I'll add it back in once we get to November so I won't be completely deprived of my favorite seasonal beer, Sam Adams Octoberfest. ;)

3. No carbonated beverages. Bye bye diet soda and red bull. I don't even really LIKE this stuff. But when you're working overtime somehow they become the most delicious treats in the world.  I don't need them and after a week I can tell you I honestly don't miss them. They may not make a reappearance in November. I am, however, letting myself have coffee. :)

4. Dinners at home. We ate out a lot in September and cooking is cheaper, healthier, and when we cook together it's even more fun. So we're cooking this month and not eating out (woah, a whole month you might say?). It goes by faster than you think. We've already had some delicious healthy meals - and it's much easier to stay on healthy habits when you're cooking and planning ahead.

5. Working out. Those who know me know I LOVE working out. Those who know me well also know when I am stressed the gym is often the last, not first place I turn to. Well I'm trying to change that! This month I'm keeping my workouts varied, doing kickboxing, pilates, running, elliptical, and walks in the park.

I'm already one week into my October Health Challenge and I'm LOVING it and feeling great! Stay tuned for an update at the end of the month!

No comments:

Post a Comment