Sunday, June 19, 2011

Welcome to the Neighborhood

After two months filled with moving and a lot of travel, we are finally settling down and we've had the opportunity to get to know our neighborhood! I've posted a map of the Manhattan neighborhoods (loosely defined) as a guide. I work at the UN - which is located in the "Midtown East" neighborhood. Nate works at Columbia University, which is located in the "Morningside Heights" neighborhood. So you can see our choice of picking Upper West Side was very strategic - it's in between our places of work! Nate takes a local train up 5 stops (72nd-116th) to Columbia, where I take the express train from 72nd to Times square (42nd street, NO STOPS) and then the Shuttle train across to Grand Central - arriving in Midtown East.

Beyond the location, which was ideal, the Upper West Side (UWS) is perfect for us in so many ways. It's a lively neighborhood and there are people out at all times of day. In the morning there's the work crowd, during the day there are some young families with kids out and about, in the evenings lots of couples like us walk the streets shopping, checking out restaurants, sitting on benches. We are located in the "heart" of the UWS at 72nd street and Broadway. The UWS stretches south past Lincoln Center into the mid 60s, and also stretches north to around the mid 80s. Its width covers from Riverside drive (which faces the Hudson River) up to Central Park. 72nd and Broadway is literally right in the middle - supported with a major subway stop where both the local AND express trains stop. Our apartment is at 71st and Broadway - literally across the street from the subway which makes commuting to work a breeze (in Brooklyn we were a 10 minute walk to the subway). We are also two long blocks (AKA, horizontal width blocks, not up and down vertical blocks) to Central Park. On nice days it's so easy for us to walk over to the park.


picture: a bridge in Central Park

We're also finding "our" places in the neighborhood. Right now our favorite sushi restaurant is Tenzan, which has the most unique rolls we've ever seen, including our favorite Green River Roll which has a jalapeno Mexican twist! Our favorite Italian is Pappardella, which showcases truly Italian recipes and a warm, cozy atmosphere. Both these restaurants are located along Columbus Avenue, which is the street between our apartment and Central Park (so one long block away). It has dozens and dozens of cute local restaurants - we are still finding the time and money to try them all!! We are also big fans of Harry's Burritos which is at 71st and Columbus. I'm starting to worry about the proximity to all the delicious food when we can't go out to eat every night!! Haha! Broadway and Amsterdam house banks, major stores (including Trader Joe's across the street - I couldn't be happier!). So we really have everything right where we are.


picture: Lincoln Center at night

We are a short walk from Lincoln Center, and we've been to one performance already of the New York Philharmonic. I'd also like to see the Ballet, Opera, and smaller jazz group performances. There's so much culture in our neighborhood, it seems like the possibilities are endless - which I know is the case in a city like New York City, but I'm finding it to be the case even in our neighborhood! Across from Lincoln Center is our favorite Mexican restaurant - Rosa Mexicano - which we've been to already a staggering 5 times! And we're going with friends visiting the city this month! Any excuse really... it has the best frozen pomegranate margaritas, made at your table fresh Guacamole, and Filete con Hongas - filet steak with mushrooms in a tequila cream sauce. YUM!

I can't wait to explore our neighborhood more. We already love it and we feel so at home! More soon on our beautiful apartment... stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. So jealous and yet so happy for you! I love Central Park, and your photos are beautiful! Rob and I will have to try out that Mexican place next time we're in New York...we love Mexican food and what you described sounds amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete