Monday, March 7, 2011

DSLR Camera Adventure

Let me tell you, the camera-buying process is not an easy one. For years, one of my hobbies has been photography (mainly annoying friends and family for photos and then documenting my travels). I've gone through a handful of small digital cameras, which aren't bad but were never really up to my standards. In 2009 I realized I wanted a higher end camera and discovered the DSLR cameras from friends who had them in Africa. They were digital, yet the lenses could capture images beyond anything I could have imagined digital was capable of. Unfortunately, the price tag on DSLR kept me from seriously considering a purchase until I was settled with a steady job, something that has only recently happened! In the meantime, I did my research. I looked at a variety of brands and asked everyone I knew for advice, read blogs online, product descriptions and reviews on amazon, the works. For two years! Anyone who knows me knows I'm not the world's MOST patient person... so this has been a long time coming!

I settled on Canon for several reasons. One, I had experience with the brand already, and of the simple digital cameras I had, I preferred the quality of Canon to Nikon. Second, it came the highest recommended by people I knew. Third, when I read the product features on the websites, the Canon cameras had features that were most useful and interesting to me. I looked at the Canon models - obviously the higher end ones were out - I was looking for a solid beginner model that I could also advance with while purchasing lenses, etc. So I didn't look seriously at the Canon 40D or 30D. I looked at Canon XS, XSi, Ti1 and Ti2. The Ti2 was most expensive and was an upgraded version of the Ti1. On closer look, and from people I talked to as well, the Ti1 only had one significant difference from the Xsi - video. This wasn't a priority for me, when I feel I want video I will probably invest in a very small and simple camcorder, but it wasn't something I need now nor did the price difference make it feel worth it to go for it. So I looked mostly at the XSi and XS. The XS is the oldest model and seemed to have some manufacturing issues with it. The Xsi came recommended by a friend as well as it had the more solid product reviews. Price wise it cost a little more, but to me it was worth it. One important note in the product reviews was that most users thought that you could see a real difference based on th quality of lens you used, and that the XSi responded well to increased quality (what I didn't want was so basic a model camera that a more advanced lens wouldn't produce results - I wanted a camera that could adapt as I learned more and invested in new lenses).

Where I probably erred is in going with the kit lens. I wavered on this point steadily and I simply could not make up my mind. For the extra hundred, I decided to go with it and use it until I knew from experience exactly what I wanted. There were just too many other options out there and I really didn't know how to gauge what I would want in a basic lens. After a week's use, I already have a better idea, and when I can I will probably upgrade to a better lens. So what I have is the EF-S 18-55mm f2.8 IS. This sounds like a foreign language and it really is for me too! 18-55 is the zoom. I like the zoom, it's not an exceptional zoom, and at some point I will probably invest in a 70-300mm zoom lens. An example of the zoom in use is below, zoom and macro setting (which hones in on the detail) - this is a tiny elephant statue in my bedroom, it's very small about the length of a business card. This photo is bigger than the elephant is!



So it does a nice job. I am still learning how to make the background blurry or sharp, how to control for lighting and shutter speed. I probably need to take a photo class, but this is an autofocused image that all I did was zoom in and shoot. For autofocus, it does a great job indoors and with people, it does a much poorer job outdoors with landscapes, and at night. This to me is disappointing. You can see below the night image just isn't as sharp, and at dusk a lot of the images come out dark. Part of it I'm sure is user error (AKA me) but I also read similar product review of the lens, so I'm not altogether surprised.



It can get good photos at dusk but it's not a given, what I'm finding is that again, it does a better job with macro. This one of a lamppost is nice, but it is macro, not landscape. Not sure if it is an autofocus issue or what... well I will learn! Based on reading product reviews, however, I am led me to believe I will also eventually need to invest in a wide angle 10-22mm lens. One thing it does well (in my opinion) is color, especially indoors. Compared to my old camera at least, it really captures color beautifully:



It does portraits well, and I think I'll use this lens for portraits and indoors more than I will for outdoors. This leads to a dilemma of where to upgrade first. Should I replace this lens off the bat since I'm likely to use it the most? Or should I plan around what I'm expecting... with upcoming international travel I might rather have a zoom lens. Or perhaps I prefer landscape, for when we're going to Colorado and are planning to go hiking. This is a bit of a dilemma. Wish I could just get them all! Here's an example of a portrait of my adorable sister Jenni:



I love this of her! One last one - macro detail on a decorative egg/shoe in the guest room:

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoy my picture! I would like it a lot more if my hair wasn't so damn frizzy! I'm sure you are going to have all sorts of fun with this camera :)

    ReplyDelete