Sunday, July 8, 2012

Central Park Summerstage - Concerts in the Park!

One of the best things about summer in NYC is the outdoor concerts in the parks! Nate and I have been to several in Brooklyn, but this was our first time going to concerts in Central Park - and we went to two! The first one was Foster the People - a new discovery thanks to our friends Amanda and Steven. I bought the tickets months ago and it definitely did not disappoint! Mark Foster is a great live performer, very energetic, and he also did a duet with Kimbra, who opened for them, and it was amazing! I keep waiting for the song to come out so I can buy it - they just finished writing it. The concert was at the Central Park Bandshell, and you could buy beer, walk around, really relaxing! We also got nice cool weather, so it was very enjoyable! The second best thing about the concert was a little kid on his dad's shoulders - must have been 3 or 4 - who used his dad's head as a drum and rocked out to every song. This kid was hilarious - future rock star is what I told him! 






The second concert we went to was free - which is one of the best things about Central Park's summerstage - they put on free concerts by having a few signature concerts that charge admission. This concert featured two bands - Diamond Rugs and Alabama Shakes. Our friends Allyson and Brian were in town to see Diamond Rugs - one of the singers is Allyson's brother-in-law! They were really fun to watch. After they played came Alabama Shakes, and I hadn't heard of them before but they were fantastic, southern rock. I still couldn't believe it was free! All in all it was the perfect Sunday. I highly recommend taking in a concert in the park if you are in NYC in the summer! The concert schedule is usually released in the spring, so check it out!




No comments:

Post a Comment