Saturday, June 16, 2012

Italian Vacation! Part Three: Pisa Pit-Stop and Last Day in Rome!

On our "way back" to Rome, we took a detour and trained to Pisa. We dropped our bags for a few hours and walked to see the leaning tower! It is definitely a fun sight to see, although my family agreed with me - the most amazing sight in Pisa is actually the incredible baptistry. If not for the leaning tower, I'm convinced this is what Pisa would be known for - it is the most beautiful baptistry I've seen in Italy! Often they are attached or hidden behind the Duomo, but all three always appear together - the Duomo (main church), the campanielle (bell tower) and baptistry. I also did some research ahead of time for an authentic lunch spot so we wouldn't be sucked into a tourist trap - we enjoyed an amazing lunch and classic white bean soup - famous in this area - and stuffed boiled potatoes!




Our last day in Rome was relaxed and fun. My parents went to San Pietro, while Nate and I slept in and took it easy! We all met for lunch at a fantastic pizzeria, Cantina e Cucina. From there, we did a little shopping and gift buying before heading to a WFP work party - yes I did see work colleagues while I was in Rome! We had a great time, I was reunited with coworkers and friends for the afternoon!  Finally our final dinner in Rome was at my all-time favorite Roman restaurant - Renato e Luisa. It is a classic trattoria with incredible dishes and my favorite dessert I've ever had. We feasted on zucchini flowers, bresaola, and prosciutto for appetizers, I enjoyed the pici pasta with mushrooms and truffle for my main course, and then shared the chocolate "fondante" - a flourless chocolate cake with a melted center - with Nate. It was the perfect way to end a magical week in Rome!








Stay tuned for more updates on adventures in NYC and future summer plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment