Monday, August 16, 2010

Last Post Before Starting Work!

Well this is it! It’s the last day before I start work at the WFP liaison office in New York City! Nate and I have had an incredible time getting to know the city before starting work! Last Friday was our 6-month anniversary. We celebrated by going to a prix-fixe dinner at Petrossian, which was amazing. I found it in our Zagat “best-buys” section (thanks Jenni!) – listed as one of the best dinner prix-fixes. At some restaurants the prix-fixe menu is more expensive, but at Petrossian it’s a great way to sample what the restaurant has to offer – and it’s less, not more expensive. Nate had a herring sampler for his appetizer, the steak for dinner, and a pear mousse for dessert. I had a smoked thinly-sliced salmon appetizer, the mushroom truffle pasta for dinner, and the pineapple-coconut shortcake for dessert. We also shared a bottle of French chardonnay, which was really lovely.

After dinner we went to Dizzy’s Jazz Club, which is in Columbus Circle in the Trump Building. I’ve been to Dizzy’s once before with a friend, and I knew Nate would love it! Dizzy’s hosts traveling jazz performers with a backdrop of the Jersey skyline easily visible through the wall-size windows behind the musicians. We were treated to a performance by the Cedar Walton quartet. They were really good and we had a fun time!



Another item on our to-do list was to walk the Brooklyn Bridge one afternoon from Manhattan to Brooklyn and end at our favorite pizza place, Grimaldi’s. We spent a Sunday afternoon walking the bridge and we had near perfect weather – mostly sunny, 80 degrees outside, breezy but not windy. The bridge itself is really cool, the walkway is above the cars but far enough in that you can watch them go by. The bridge itself is fun to walk across, very different from the Golden Gate Bridge in San Fran.



It was pretty fun to cross the bridge and see the “welcome to Brooklyn” sign paved into the sidewalk. I had to copy the picture our friend Katie took, even though as everyone knows we’ve been in Brooklyn two and a half months at this point! And as for Grimaldi’s, it was great as always! It was our third time there and it hasn’t gotten old!





The next day Nate started at Columbia and I enjoyed my last week before working. Nate really has a great office environment, a fun staff, and the math building is just so beautiful! Friday at the end of his first week of work I came up to meet him for lunch. We got sandwiches at Milano Market (my favorite) and ate at the picnic tables in the center of campus. Another beautiful sunny day – we’ve had the best weather!

I also had a couple friends from Italy stay with us at the end of the week – girls I interned with, Emily and Sara. We all went to dinner Thursday at a great Thai place called “Laut” – in Union Square, and I will definitely want to return, it was great! It was fun to see the girls and reminisce about the days in Italy



That’s all for now! We have more visitors and adventures planned in the weeks ahead… stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment