We also took several trips to Goodwill. It was a lot of work all in all, but everything Nate wanted to take fit on the Uhaul, so that was great! We rented the Uhaul for the entire trip too – all the way to New York. It was cheaper than dropping it off in North Carolina, believe it or not! So we figured why pay more and then have to pay for flights in addition? That made no sense, so we decided to drive the whole way to New York.
We drove that afternoon to Gainesville for a fun last night at my house with both our parents. The 6 of us shared the bottle of wine Nate and I brought back from Napa Valley – it was the Beringer Reserve Leaning Oak Cabernet Sauvignon. It was delicious! My mom made a great spread of food and we all had a great last night in Florida. The next morning we drove straight to Durham in the Uhaul. It takes a LOT longer in the Uhaul! It took us almost 11 hours to get there. Luckily, we had winks, our stuffed animal elephant to keep us company. Even for him, though, it was a long trip!
We had roughly a day and a half in Durham. The first day I was paranoid about someone breaking into the uhaul, and so we were checking on that. We also delivered some of the furniture I wasn’t taking to my friend Jeremy, who is furnishing the downstairs of his house for a woman and her daughter. I was glad that the furniture went to good use!
Our last night in Durham was low-key, we had dinner with Nicholas and then hung out at the apartment for a while. I thought I would be sad, but it felt like the right time to leave. I wasn’t sad at all – just excited! The next morning the movers arrived! We hadn’t heard from them so I was starting to get worried but they were really nice. They started by loading up my apartment, then they took everything from Nate’s Uhaul. We kept on the Uhaul the top of one mattress to sleep on and table and chairs, and my artwork from around the world. We figured since we were driving the Uhaul the whole way we could keep a few things that would be easy for us to move into the Brooklyn apartment ourselves.
After the movers left we drove half the way to New York, stopping for the night in Arlington, Virginia and we stayed with Nate’s friend Nicole! I was excited to meet her and it was so nice she let us stop for the night. The next morning we got up and drove the rest of the way into Brooklyn – over the bridge and everything. It was a bit scary in the Uhaul but Nate did a great job!
We met up with my sister, who had so nicely gotten the keys to the place for us! She let us in and helped us unload the Uhaul, then rode with Nate to drop it off while I started sorting. We got the good news that the movers were coming Tuesday – a day early – to drop off our furniture and everything. We spent Monday unpacking the few things we brought with us. Tuesday the movers came and our living room was filled with boxes!
Anyone who knows me though knows I wasn’t worried! It took us less than a day and a half to unpack everything, and just another day to decorate. At this point it’s just the final finishing touches – so far I think the apartment looks great! I will post pics of the decorated rooms soon! We love our neighborhood! There are great shops, restaurants, a great mix of people, and we are near museums and Prospect Park.
We miss all our family and friends and can’t wait for everyone to visit!
Cheers, D
No comments:
Post a Comment