Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Cara's Wedding in Chicago!

Last weekend we spent an amazing 2 days in Chicago celebrating the wedding of my first college friend at FSU – Cara! Cara and I met at orientation before we even started at FSU and I instantly liked her – she had pink toenails and she was in Honors program too! On move-in day in August 2003 she moved into the dorm room right across the hall from me – and we’ve been friends ever since! We went to our first FSU football game together (see the throwback picture!) We also joined Lady Spirithunters together in Winter 2004, and co-founded the now infamous group known affectionately as The Breakfast Club!

Nate and I flew to Chicago after work Friday and got in late, meeting up with Courtney & Jason at the airport. From there we cabbed to my Aunt & Uncle’s downtown apartment. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a gift basket complete with bread, cheese, and wine awaited us! The four of us settled in, drank and told stories till the wee hours of the night! Saturday we headed out to the aquarium, where we met up with fellow B-club member Kristy and her boyfriend Josh.

After that we got ready for the wedding. Cara was the most beautiful bride in a flowing strapless dress, and everyone teared up as she walked down the aisle. Almost the entire group was there to see her (we were just missing Melissa), and we couldn’t have been happier for her! The wedding went from 7-8, followed by a cocktail hour, reception with live band till midnight, and DJ till 2am! Now that’s what I call a party! We celebrated Cara & Dan for the rest of the night! It was great to be reunited with the girls again too, especially to honor Cara! We all managed to color coordinate too - Natalie & Kelly were bridesmaids, Kristy and Laura wore black, and Court and I matched in red! Gotta love these girls! I'm always thankful for this group because even though it's big and we live all over the US - from NY to Philly, from Chicago to Baltimore, from Chapel Hill to Atlanta - we still get to see each other frequently and it's like no time has passed :)



Sunday we had brunch with the group, and everyone parted ways – except for us! Courtney, Jason, Nate and I went sightseeing Sunday. We started at the Millennium Park, and you have to go to the bean! I forget its real name, but it’s a huge reflective surface where you can see the buildings and sky and of course yourself as you make silly faces and take tons of pictures! Sounds like it was made for me, right? I was impressed with the architecture in the city, everything was clean and shiny.

We continued sightseeing by walking up the riverfront and spending time at Navy Pier. I loved the indoor gardens, I tried to get someone to go on the Ferris Wheel with me (but it was too windy). We walked back up towards the apartment but headed up Michigan Avenue (all the shopping!) for some deep dish Chicago pizza before going. My Uncle, who’s the restaurant critic for the Chicago Tribune, recommended Gino’s and we were not disappointed! Sweet bread crust and delicious toppings was the perfect end to our AMAZING weekend in Chicago. I was sad to leave everyone – especially my best friend Courtney who lives far away in ATLANTA (and needs to visit!). But I wouldn’t trade the weekend for anything, we had the best time! A final picture at the bean, because it was too fun:

No comments:

Post a Comment